Healing Crystals are cleansed with natural light, water, or salt to reset their healing properties. Hematite is a great stone for confidence, courage, and strength.
Does Hematite need to be cleansed? Can you cleanse Hematite in water? How to cleanse Hematite?
Yes, Hematite needs to be cleansed after every use. No, you shouldn’t cleanse Hematite with water, as it’s an iron crystal that can rust, crack, or break from exposure.
The Best Ways to Cleanse Hematite
- Salt Water
- Smudge Sticks
- Essential Oils
- Singing Bowls
- Positive Affirmations
- Himalayan Salt Lamp
I’ll teach you how to cleanse Hematite safely in the above 17 ways and what cleansing to steer clear of.
Overview of Hematite Crystals
Hematite is popularly used for grounding with the Root Chakra, but it’s also ruled by the Third-Eye, Crown, and Solar Plexus Chakras. You may feel empathy, intuitive, calm, confident, strong, protected, or energetic when you bond with this stone.
Hematite is found everywhere on Earth and is the biggest source of iron.
Most of its metaphysical properties come from Aradia (Tuscan Goddess of Witchcraft), Hine-Nui-Te-Po (Polynesian Goddess of Night), and Ereshkigal (Sumerian Goddess of the Underworld).
Hematite rings are often worn as amulets for physical and psychic protection.
Do you know how to cleanse hematite rings? It’s easy! All you have to do is scrub with a soft-bristle brush or a lint-free cloth once a month!
Here are the basics of Hematite healing properties before I share the best way to cleanse it:
1. Cleansing Hematite with Water
Natural water from taps, rivers, and streams is the best way to charge most healing crystals. Hematite, however, rusts or cracks when exposed to moisture because of the presence of iron inside it.
Hematite should never get wet, rinsed, or soaked for cleansing, charging, or infusions.
The low MOHS value of Hematite makes it susceptible to damage, and Hematite develops a grayish color when exposed to water for prolonged periods.
2. Cleansing Hematite with Sun
Sunlight works well to awaken the dormant powers of Hematite crystals because the Solar Plexus Chakra also rules this crystal. Sunlight is also good for attracting luck and success with Hematite.
Hematite is ruled by Mars, which is a friendly planet to Sun. Hematite is a dark crystal with zero transparency, so Hematite won’t fade in the sun.
Here’s how to cleanse Hematite with sunlight:
- Find a safe space without direct sunlight.
- Place the Hematite in that safe space.
- Leave it undisturbed for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Carry the stone on your person for a day then cleanse it at the end of the day.
Although Hematite doesn’t fade in sunlight, limiting sun cleansing/charging crystals with Hematite for up to 30 minutes at a time is a good practice.
3. Cleansing Hematite with Salt
Dry salt isn’t harmful to Hematite because it has a lower MOHS hardness (2.5) than Hematite (up to 5.5).
This is how you should cleanse Hematite with salt:
- Take a glass bowl.
- Add a layer of rock salt or Himalayan pink salt to the bowl.
- Place your crystal on the bed of salt.
- Now add another layer of salt on top of the crystal.
- Leave it undisturbed for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Discard the salt after use.
Salt water is not good for cleansing and charging Hematite because the salt can seep into the crystal and corrode it quickly.
4. Cleansing Hematite with Soil
Earth is the bed from which all crystals are born, so cleansing Hematite with soil is an excellent way to cleanse the crystal after powerful rituals.
Here’s how to cleanse Hematite crystals with Earth:
- Find a place in your garden or flower pot with 1 to 3 feet of soil.
- Dig a hole in that place.
- Wrap your crystals in a cloth or place them in a small cardboard box.
- Bury the crystal in the hole and fill it with soil.
- Leave the crystal undisturbed for 24 hours or until the next new/full moon.
It may not be good to bury your Hematite in wet or moist soil, due to the corrosion. Soil may not be an easy choice at all times.
5. Cleansing Hematite with Moonlight
Astrologically, Mars and Moon are friendly planets, so soaking Hematite in the energy of the New or Full Moon is perfect for cleansing it intensely.
The following is how you cleanse Hematite with Moon’s energy:
- Find a safe space (without access to moisture) where moonlight reaches.
- Place your Hematite in that space.
- Let the crystal soak in the moon’s energy until sunrise.
Here’s a bonus tip: Don’t leave your crystals out on a terrace or open window to prevent rain, dew, and thieves from getting to your crystals.
6. Cleansing Hematite with Rice
Did you know that rice was used to treat a myriad of skin issues for thousands of years? If your Hematite crystals are hurt, broken, or cracked, the best way to heal them is by cleansing them with rice.
Here’s how to cleanse Hematite with rice:
- Take a bowl with a lid.
- Fill it up to 80% with rice.
- Bury the crystals in the rice.
- Put the lid on.
- Leave the bowl undisturbed for 30 minutes, morning until evening, overnight, or for seven days.
- Discard the rice after use.
Fun Fact: Brown rice is the best variety of rice for removing negativity.
7. Cleansing Hematite with Crystals
Did you know that self-healing crystals, like Clear Quartz, Selenite, and Black Tourmaline, also cleanse other crystals? That’s because they can absorb negativity and turn it into positivity.
The following will teach you how to cleanse Hematite with a Selenite plate:
- Take your Selenite plate and keep it on a flat surface.
- Put the Hematite on the Selenite plate.
- Leave it undisturbed for 5 minutes to a day.
8. Cleansing Hematite with Fire
Whether you like candles or bonfires, Hematite can be cleansed without any metaphysical blockages with fires. It’s a good way to cleanse new Hematite crystals to remove negativity from people who have touched the crystal before you.
Here’s how you cleanse Hematite with a candle fire:
- Light a candle on a flat surface at night or morning.
- Hold the crystal within five feet of the flame.
- Adjust your hand to ensure the flame is behind the candle at eye level.
- Hold the position for up to a minute.
- For cleansing, you can also place the crystal next to a lit candle for five minutes at a safe distance.
9. Cleansing Hematite with Smudge Sticks
Have you ever used Sage smudge sticks? They’re an age-old tradition for clearing negativity from people, places, and objects. After the stick is lit, the smoke of the burning sacred-herb is fanned with an eagle’s feather toward the Hematite.
This is how you cleanse Hematite with a Sage or Palo Santo smudge sticks:
- Light a smudge stick with a matchstick.
- Let it burn for 5 to 10 seconds.
- Blow out the flame.
- Let the smudge stick burn until you can see the ember. Otherwise, repeat lighting it.
- Once the smudge stick starts to smoke, place the smudge stick in a pan, clay plate, or Abalone shell.
- Now fan the smoke onto the Hematite with your hands, a feather, or leaves.
- Continue for a few minutes then stub out the smudge stick when you’re done.
Avoid this method for cleansing Hematite if you have breathing disorders or respiratory problems.
10. Cleansing Hematite with Essential Oils
Essential oils are much like sacred herbs but even better for smokeless aromatherapy. You can cleanse Hematite by letting it soak for an hour or two in cleansing essential oil scents.
These are the essential oils for cleansing Hematite:
Never dab essential oils on Hematite stone because it can lead to rusting and damage.
11. Cleansing Hematite with Incense
Much like smudge sticks, incense is a good way to smoke-bathe Hematite to repel negative energies stuck to it naturally. It’s less smoky than smudge sticks and more holistic than aroma diffusers.
Here’s how to cleanse Hematite with incense sticks:
- Light the tip of a cleansing incense, like sandalwood, sage, myrrh, sandalwood, cedar, or lemon.
- Blow out the flame after 3 to 5 seconds.
- Fix the lit incense on the holder, away from any windows, flammable objects, pets, kids, and fabric.
- Keep the Hematite stone within 10 feet of the burning incense.
- Leave the stone undisturbed until the incense finishes burning.
Don’t forget to check the fire safety rules of your apartment before lighting the incense.
12. Cleansing Hematite with Meditation
Meditation is the combination of thoughts, breath, focus, and imagination. It’s an excellent way to cleanse Hematite, especially if you don’t like salt, water, sunlight, or soil for cleansing.
This is how you cleanse a Hematite with meditation:
- Find a comfortable and undisturbed space.
- Situate your yoga mat and sit down.
- Hold the Hematite stone in your palm.
- Visualize the stone brightening with cleansing light in your mind.
- Meditate on the thought until it feels right.
Meditation is not a good technique to cleanse crystals if you aren’t well-versed.
13. Cleansing Hematite with Singing Bowls
Did you know thatTibetan singing bowls can open different chakras? It’s another tradition that goes back thousands of years. You can use Tibetan bowls, or sound bowls, to cleanse auras, chakras, and crystals.
Here’s how to cleanse Hematite with singing bowls:
- Take a singing bowl.
- Place the Hematite crystal within 15 cm of the bowl.
- Tap the sides of the bowl gently for ten seconds.
- Start rimming the bowl with a mallet to make continuous sounds.
- Continue for a few minutes.
NEVER keep Hematite inside the singing bowl while playing it. Your crystal may crack or break from the high vibrations of the bowl. Always keep it at a safe distance.
14. Cleansing Hematite with Yoga
Did you know that yoga fuses thoughts, energy, breath, and space? It’s an ancient technique for balancing the body, mind, and soul.
You can place Hematite in front of you on the yoga mat and perform yoga poses associated with Earth, Mars, Root Chakra, or the Solar Plexus Chakra to cleanse the stone.
Here are some yoga poses for cleansing Hematite:
- Balasana or Child’s Pose
- Shavasana or Corpse Pose
- Vrikshasana or Tree Pose
- Dhanurasana or Bow Pose
- Sun Salutations Yoga
15. Cleansing Hematite with Chants and Mantras
Cleanse Hematite safely with chants, prayers, and purifying verses. As mantras use chants that fuse thoughts, sound, and breath into you, it’s a powerful way to cleanse the negativity of Hematite with your inner energy.
The following is how to cleanse Hematite by chanting the seed mantra OM:
- Sit down in a comfortable space.
- Hold the Hematite in your right hand.
- Chant the mantra OM slowly while inhaling.
- Exhale slowly.
- Continue to chant for 5 to 15 minutes in the same position.
Raise the Hematite to the level of your mouth to chant into the stone. This may not be a convenient way to cleanse Hematite in public.
16. Cleansing Hematite with Positive Affirmations
Just like chanting the mantra OM, you can chant positive affirmations repeatedly to cleanse Hematite with your breath, sound, and thought.
Here are five positive affirmations to chant at Hematite to cleanse it:
- I dispel the negativity from you.
- I cleanse you with my whole being.
- I command you to release your clutches and resurrect.
If you don’t want to write positive affirmations on your own, go ahead and check affirmations via the AllCrystal website or Google search bar. You’ll see hundreds, with at least a handful related to your state of mind.
17. Cleansing Hematite with Himalayan Salt Lamp
Worried about electromagnetic radiation or negativity? Himalayan salt lamps and its amber light and energy will cleanse your air, home, chakra, aura, and Hematite.
This is how you cleanse a Hematite with a Himalayan salt lamp:
- Turn the Himalayan pink salt lamp on.
- Keep your Hematite within three feet of the Himalayan pink salt lamp.
- Leave the Hematite undisturbed overnight, or from morning until evening.
Start Cleansing Your Hematite Safely
Hematite is a wonderful stone for oneness, stability, grounding, wisdom, and psychic powers.
I hope you learned how to cleanse Hematite with sunlight, moonlight, singing bowls, aromatherapy, meditation, affirmations, seed mantras, yoga, rice, fire, and other crystals. Water is the only one to avoid cleansing Hematite with.
When should you cleanse Hematite? Ideally, you should cleanse Hematite whenever the ritual is over.
Suppose you wear Hematite jewelry throughout the day then cleanse the Hematite jewelry at the end of the day to repel the negativity it absorbed during the day. Easy, right?
Here’s a summary of this article to help you cleanse Hematite crystals easily and safely: