Moonstone is an enchanting and soothing healing crystal, used to enhance inner strength and calm emotions. Its milky appearance creates a beautiful, unique shimmer, and its intriguing properties have inspired spiritualists for centuries. This stone gives off the energy of tranquility and balance, allowing you to gain clarity of yourself and the universe around you.
Like all healing crystals, moonstones must be cleansed in order for their healing properties to be at their best. In this article, we will tell you how to cleanse moonstones, examining a range of methods that are suitable for beginner and advanced spiritualists.
When cleansing crystals, you need to consider their corresponding planets and elements. Let’s look at cleansing moonstone by moonlight. As moonstone is connected to the moon, this method is the best way to charge this crystal.
Moonlight has brilliant cleansing qualities and rids crystals of negative energy. Opt for cleansing crystals on the night of the full moon, as this is when its power is at its highest. Cleansing your crystals every full moon gets you into a routine, as most crystals should be cleansed at least once a month.
How to Cleanse Moonstone with Moonlight
- Place the moonstone on your windowsill, where the light of the moon can connect with the crystal. If you can, place the moonstone outside.
- Set an intention for the stone, such as, “Allow the power of the moon to cleanse this moonstone.”
- Leave the moonstone overnight, from dusk until dawn.
A lot of us live in cities where the moonlight is marred by fog. Though it is better to charge your moonstone when there are no clouds or fog hiding the moon, sometimes this simply isn’t possible. Don’t worry too much, though, as the energy of the moon is still around, even if you can’t see it. Your moonstone will still be cleansed on a foggy or cloudy night.
Moonstone is connected with the element of water, so consider this method of cleansing. The element of water represents the subconscious and emotions. When moonstone is cleansed this way, its magical properties regarding feelings and subconsciousness are heightened.
How to Cleanse Moonstone with Water
When it comes to water, there are different ways we can use it to cleanse our crystals. For moonstone, leave it in a bowl of water overnight. If you are able to place this bowl out in the moonlight, do so to enhance cleansing.
- Pour water into a bowl while repeating affirmations of cleansing and renewal. Thank the element of water for its powers.
- Place the moonstone in the water, repeating the words, “The element of water, please cleanse this moonstone.”
- Place the bowl of water somewhere safe, either inside on your windowsill or out in the moonlight.
- Leave it overnight.
- When you are ready, pick up the moonstone and hold it in your hands. You will feel its energy has changed. Carefully dry it off before using it.
Cleansing crystals through sound is easy to do. The vibrations of the sound will unclog the energy within the crystal, creating a flow that cleanses it.
Moonstones can also be cleansed through the sound of humming. It is a great method that not only cleanses the stone but connects your energy with it.
How to Cleanse Moonstone with Sound
- Go to your safe space where you won’t be interrupted and place the moonstone in front of you. You can do this method standing or sitting down, whatever works for you.
- Turn your attention to the crystal, spending a moment clearing your mind and focusing on the moonstone.
- When ready, start humming. Begin quietly then get louder, finding tones that feel good for you.
- Keep your focus on the moonstone as you are humming.
- After a few minutes, stop humming, sit with the energy you have created, and acknowledge it connecting with the moonstone.
Another accessible and easy way to cleanse stones is with salt. Salt soaks up energy, so it is a great way to give your moonstone a thorough cleanse.
How to Cleanse Moonstone with Salt
- Place salt in a bowl that is big enough to submerge the moonstone. As you are doing so, ask the salt to bring forth its cleansing energy.
- Place the moonstone in the salt, submerging it fully so the salt is touching all of it. As you place it in the bowl, repeat the words, “This salt will cleanse the moonstone, allowing its energy to be pure and light.”
- Place the bowl somewhere safe and leave it for at least 24 hours.
How to Cleanse Moonstone Rings and Bracelets
Many of us wear our crystals in jewelry, and this means that we may not wish to use certain cleansing methods or put them outside.
Thankfully, there are some great ways we can cleanse moonstone bracelets and rings without causing them any damage!
Here are the best ways to cleanse your moonstone jewelry:
- Hold it in running water for a few minutes.
- Bury it in salt.
- Use sound.
- Leave it on your windowsill overnight.
- Is it okay to get moonstone wet?
Moonstone is fine to get wet as it has a hardness of 6 – 6.5 according to the Mohs Hardness Scale.
- What is the best way to use moonstone?
Moonstone is best used to balance and harmonize emotions, gaining an understanding of why you are experiencing the feelings you have.
- How do you clean and charge rainbow moonstone?
Rainbow moonstone can be cleansed and charged in the moonlight or water.
- Can moonstone go in sunlight?
Yes, moonstone can be cleansed and charged by sunlight. It can be left out for a while in the sun, but it will fade over time if you are using this method regularly.
- Does moonstone need to be charged?
Moonstone should be charged after cleansing, as charging the crystal will enhance its spiritual properties. You can charge moonstone in the moonlight or sunlight.